Saturday, July 30, 2011

T-minus 18 hours and counting...


Going on a 2400 mile journey is supposed to be something that you plan for, something that you consider carefully. I'm treating it like it was a trip to the corner store for a loaf of bread, a package of milk, and a stick of butter. Why I'm treating it so callously, I'm not sure.

Did a lot of work around the house today -- none of it having to do with the trip. And, Bek and I are heading out of the house momentarily to go to a family get-together. That leaves only a few hours tonight to sort my self out, pack what I need to, and try to get things in order.

In any case, it's going to be intriguing.

Why are we going? I can tell you that it's for this: it's an LT-40 sawmill, with about 250 hours on it, and it's something my dad's wanted for some time. He's got the money, the time to make the trip, and (most importantly) Mom said "yes".

So, we get into his truck, and start the trip tomorrow morning, 9 AM. With luck, we'll hit as many major highways, and as few crunchy traffic snarls as possible, and get to someplace in Ohio by Sunday night. Not sure if we can make it that far, but I don't think it's out of the question.

In any case, I'm going to try to keep track of where we go, what we see and do, and what (if anything) happens out of the ordinary, unexpected. I plan to take as many photos as possible, as well. Whee!